Monday, March 13, 2006

All The World is a Stage

We all live in a community within a society within a culture.
In each of these sub-divisions of the human race there are normative standards, we're all familiar with these customs whether we're conscious of them or not.

So what is it exactly to be normal?

While enjoying a cigarette on my porch I began to dwell on this question. Using myself as an example, I'd say that I'm a pretty normal guy; I go to school, dress and behave in a socially acceptable manner, smoke cigarettes, go grocery shopping, watch TV and occasionally take in a film or two, basically everything that makes up a normal individual in my society.

I then started considering all the areas where I deviate from this norm; I dance, I don't follow sports, I don't drink or do drugs, I have long hair, and in my spare time I like to x-dress, mask, and wear rubber.

Once I added up all the determining factors as to whether I passed as being normal I came to the conclusion that I'm anything but.

However, the x-dressing, masking, and latex fetish I keep to myself, and I'd assume that it's pretty normal for people to have skeletons in their closet. So I suppose that tips me back into the 'normal' category.

So in thinking about this, it reduces the question of normalcy to superficialities; our social faces and public bodies. I thought of how easy it would be to start jumping from group to group, especially because I have done it in the past, but not with the intention of deceit, it was just because I went through different clothing & hairstyle phases.

As of late I've been getting funneled into a kind of retro-grunge stereotype of which I'm not enjoying all that much. I know when I cut my hair I'll suddenly be put back into some other stereotype, but that'll be better cause the one I'm in is far from what I am.

But as far as behavioral differences go between groups, I wouldn't say that there are all that many distinguishing factors. I think most groups are essentially comprised of a dress-code, a body posture, a few mannerisms, and a handful of activities.

So at it's core, many groups wouldn't really be that hard to play the part of. This idea ties largely into my x-dressing interest, just knowing that the dividing line between genders is potentially so thin. I know I'd find it quite exciting to have a proper mask/bodysuit to be able to go into public as a girl and have no one know. Be able to be seen as someone who I am entirely not, but at the same time am.. Also, I like the whole prosthetics thing, but that's a different story. =P

We all masquerade as the people who we'd like others to perceive us as, but not necessarily the people we want to be.
Wouldn't it be interesting to act and dress from the inside out?
I think it would be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
hit counter html code